Sunday, August 23, 2009

Semiotics Lecture

Semiotics, in the way I understand it, is basically understanding a symbol or a sign and what it is trying to communicate to the viewer. In Friday's lecture alot of terms and new vocabulary was thrown around but throughout the semester as they are used more, I believe I'll be able to really get a grip on it all. Concerning the readings, the examples helped alot. I understand that an icon is very realistic and as we simplize that photographic image we move closer to a sign. Seeing the definitions first don't really clear much up for me, but once I see more examples and try to come up with a few myself then hopefully I'll understand semiotics as a whole.






This is an icon of a winding road.




This is a sign of a winding road.

We read both pictures as a winding road but the purpose of the second picture is to read it quickly and clearly. If the first picture was used as the original road sign to communicate that the next few miles or so are curvy, its not efficient enough for the driver, and most likly would cause a wreck anyway. To use more new language learned during class, this picure denotes a curvy arrow, but it conotes a winding road.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I felt like some of the words were just jumbling together in my brain. I liked the pictures, they helped me understand. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all photographs are iconic, very iconic. The road-sign is also an icon, because the curvy line looks just like a curvy road. The yellow diamond part of the road-sign is a symbol that we learn means caution. You got denote and connote right too.

    ReplyDelete