Thursday, August 27, 2009

Frustration With a New 2-D World

Yesterday Babcock gave us our assiagnment, and at first I didn't think anything of it. I sort of viewed it as another exercise. but as he continued talking throughout class I realized I was getting way ahead of myself. Being an Interior Design major I like to keep my eye on the end product. I like to make sure everything flows together, and in designing 3-D spaces that comes very easy to me. As soon as Babcock said just draw one word at a time and then maybe later things will work together I started struggling. I never realized how different it is to design something on a flat surface that has no depth or percpectiveto it. That night my roommates and I brianstormed words that fit with my subject. We got around 20 words per subject and I finsihed drawing for half of them. It still presents itself as a challenge for me, but maybe if I just take a deep breath and really hold myself from leaping towards what the end will look like then I might come up with something I really enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, stick with it. Learning a new process isn't always easy, but you will see the benefits and may even use it for other things. The worst thing in the world can be a cold start. Imagine if I just said, "Ok, make a logo, and make it good. Sketches due end of class."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you're right. I don't think I would've enjoyed that at all!

    ReplyDelete